One of India’s smallest states, Nagaland houses as many as 16 different ethnic groups, each with its distinct cultural identities. The economy is agrarian and the rich handloom and handicraft of the state have widespread appeal and demand in the domestic as well as offshore markets. The picturesque landscape of the hilly state, its inviting climate and its manifold cultures, customs, dresses and languages, offer vast potential for drawing tourists from far and wide.
Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP)
1.PMEGP will be a central sector scheme to be administered by the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MoMSME).
2.At the State level, the Scheme will be implemented through State KVIC Directorates, State Khadi and Village Industries Boards (KVIBs) and District Industries Centres (DICs) and banks.
3.The Government subsidy under the Scheme will be routed by KVIC through the identified Banks for eventual distribution to the beneficiaries / entrepreneurs in their Bank accounts.
Food Processing Fund
1. State Governments, entities promoted by State/ Central Governments, Joint ventures, Cooperatives, Federation of Cooperatives, SPVs, Farmers’ Producers Organizations, Corporates, Companies, Entrepreneurs, etc., may avail loans from this Fund for establishing the designated Food Parks and also for setting up of individual food/ agro processing units in the designated Food Parks.
2. NABARD will provide term loans out of the Fund. Term loans will be provided either directly or through consortium arrangements with other financing agencies. The extent of term loan will be up to a maximum of 75% of eligible total project outlay assessed by NABARD.
Warehouse Infrastructure Fund (WIF) 2014-15
1. The fund envisages extension of loans to Public and Private sectors for construction of warehouses, silos, cold storages and other cold chain infrastructure.
2. Loans will be provided for proposals of projects involving creation of storage infrastructure, with a minimum aggregate capacity of 5000 metric tons (MT), for agricultural and allied produce including construction of: a. Warehouses b. Silos c. Cold storage, controlled atmosphere (CA) stores, other cold chain infrastructure activities like pack houses / integrated pack houses, reefer vans, bulk coolers, individually quick frozen units, chilling/ freezing infrastructure, etc.
3. Modernization/improvement of the existing storage infrastructure projects will be considered on merit of each proposal provided it leads to scientific/ additional storage capacity.
Indian Institute of Entrepreneurship
IIE has taken up the Cluster Development Approach to develop small enterprises in North Eastern Region of India to meet the challenging opportunities and threats in a globalised economy.
North Eastern Industrial Consultants Ltd (NECON)
1. The North Eastern Industrial Consultants Ltd also has been promoted by a host of All India Financial Institutions, banks and SIDCs including NIDC to provide consultancy assistance and professional services to all classes of entrepreneurs.
2. NECON assists entrepreneurs in preparation of Project Reports, conducts and prepares Techno-Economic Feasibility Reports and also undertakes studies & surveys to identify suitable industries in the region.
3.Entrepreneurship Development Programs are conducted regularly by NECON for different target groups.
4. With its Head Office in Agartala, NECON has a Branch Office at Dimapur and Kohima in Nagaland.
Youth-Net- Youth-Net is a non-profit organization registered under the Registration of Societies Act 1895.
1. The Entrepreneur is a program for the best emerging entrepreneurs in Nagaland. The goal is to enhance business skills of exemplary young Naga entrepreneurs who can be flag bearers of this campaign. YouthNet in partnership with Dept. of Youth Resources and Sports, Government of Nagaland has initiated a 5-year campaign called Impact 5000 by 18 which aims to positively impact 5000 young people involved in the private sector by the year 2018.
2. The campaign will strive to foster a healthy private sector and thereby facilitate socio-economic prosperity of the youth and the state. This campaign will be implemented through the YouthNet Centre for Entrepreneurship and Employment. Those impacted would have enhanced their business skills, employability skills and developed entrepreneurial mindsets.
In Summary – Nagaland and Entrepreneurship:
Nagaland has unique strengths, whether it be the large English speaking population, the strong focus on technical and medical education or excellent policy and fiscal incentives for agro- and forest based industries, horticulture, food processing, mining, tourism and the handlooms and handicrafts sector. Aspiring entrepreneurs can explore and many untapped opportunities in the region, by leveraging these strengths.
To know more about how Nagaland is building a vibrant entrepreneurship ecosystem, click here.
Data Sources for Nagaland
Note: Policy details provided here are for the purpose of information only. Please verify the latest information from the relevant Government or MSME website of the state. Other data and information is curated from various websites and public documents. In case you have any corrections, additions, or suggestions, please share the same with us, and we’ll be happy to incorporate them here.