During its crucial early growth stages, your start-up will be impacted more by the team you hire. To build a great team, you’ve got to pay attention to various details that start right from the hiring stage. You have to be certain that you’ve assembled the right team to drive success. Here are some tips that you could use to get the right people on board:
- Start with yourself: Know your core values and map them with your organizations’ core values. This exercise will help you assign roles within your team. Developing values early in your company’s history can have a lasting and positive effect on your organization and its culture, and it’s easier to do when your team is small.
- Stay in your zone: As entrepreneurs, you would like to don many hats but sometimes it’s better to focus on what you are good at and let others do what they are experts of.
- Don’t build a team for the startup, build a team that will stay and grow as the company grows.
- Be a ringmaster: Ensure that the team works together to create a seamless show when they are required to. Team rapport is essential for building the momentum that is needed to grow a startup.
- Hire people who have complementary skill sets. Look for people who are strong where you are weak.
- Let team members take the lead in their area of expertise. It’s no secret that strong teams have diverse strengths. Be sure to give team members ownership of the places in which they are strong than others.
- Talent engagement is important too: Help your team understand that you want them to progress and grow in their career and life. Through training and workshops, you provide them with the opportunity to learn new skills and upgrade their existing know-how.